Regular Section Writer
The Norwich Radical is an online progressive publication founded in Norwich. We are a collective of writers, activists, students and workers who work on a voluntary basis to produce a publication which amplifies progressive and radical ideas. We publish a range of content across five distinct sections from our team of regular writers and through externally sourced pieces. Since founding in 2014 we have published more than 1500 articles from writers in India, Aotearoa New Zealand, Canada, the US, UK, Italy, Brazil, Germany, Romania, and elsewhere. In 2020, we are consolidating our existence, and finally registering as a legal entity in the form of a cooperative.
We are looking for pieces that can show important stories in a radical new light, or bring issues marginalised by mainstream media to the fore, with a specific focus on the themes and topics that the applicants’ chosen section specialises in.
Applicants will commit to writing an article of 600-1000 words in their section on a monthly or fortnightly basis.
In line with this role description, we are looking for applicants with the following skills, experiences and attributes:
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong and fluid written communication
- Self motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Understanding of key national and international issues related to the section
- Willingness to stay informed on current affairs
- Commitment to the values of The Norwich Radical, as laid out in our Founding Statement
- Previous writing experience
- Experience campaigning on a local, national or international political issue (Inter|National, Community)
- Experience with organisations devoted to the promotion of the arts (Arts)
- Experience campaigning with student political and activist groups (Student, Community)
- Experience campaigning on issues related to liberation politics and minority representation (Perspectives)
- Contacts with any of the above fields
- Research/interview and networking skills
How to Apply
To apply for the role of Section Writer at The Norwich Radical, please send a statement of no more than 400 words, along with a sample of your written work to email@example.com. Your statement should specify which section(s) you wish to apply for, and lay out what kind of contributions you could bring to The Norwich Radical as a regular contributor. Please note The Norwich Radical is not-for-profit and all writers and editors work on a voluntary basis.
We also request that candidates fill in and send this equal opportunities monitoring form, but this is not compulsory. The equal opportunities form will be separated and anonymised on receipt of your application.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. Applicants do not have to be based in Norwich, or in the UK.
Please return your statement, written work sample and equal opportunities monitoring form by midnight on 30th April 2020. If you have any queries, drop us an email to the above address.
We are open year-round for pieces that can show important stories in a radical new light, or bring issues marginalised by mainstream media to the fore.
Article length should be 600-1000 words, and please feel free to pitch ideas with our editors!