We’re recruiting! Check out our vacancies below…
The Norwich Radical is an online progressive publication based in Norwich. We are a collective of over 25 writers, activists, students and workers who work on a voluntary basis to produce a publication which amplifies progressive and radical ideas. We publish a range of content across five distinct sections from our team of regular writers and through externally sourced pieces. Since founding in 2014 we have published more than 1300 articles from writers in India, New Zealand, the US, UK, Italy, Brazil, Germany, and elsewhere.
We are currently looking to recruit a new member of our editorial team who will be working as our Inter|national Editor. Our Inter|national section (click here for more) covers national and international news and topics, including ‘regional’ correspondents from the current regular team.
With the far right on the rise across Europe and elsewhere, we are looking to source and publish more content from a wider range of voices that speak against dominant narratives propagated and found in the media, especially mainstream outlets.
We anticipate the role will require a commitment of roughly 6-10 hours per week and will have the following responsibilities:
- Copy-editing and proof-reading content
- Uploading and laying up content to our website
- Managing our social media accounts, for the purposes of the Inter|national section
- Writing and implementing strategy for the Inter|national section
- Working with, supporting and developing a team of regular writers in your section.
- Sourcing content from external contributors
- Representing The Norwich Radical at events
- Assisting the general work and responsibilities of the Editorial Team
- Assisting with the planning, organisation and delivery of Norwich Radical events
- Attending quarterly Editorial Away Days, via remote access or in person
- Contributing content on a regular and ad hoc basis
In line with this role description, we are looking for applicants with the following skills, experiences and attributes:
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong and fluid written communication
- Self motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as collaboratively in a team
- Familiarity with Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of and interest in British and global politics
- Commitment to the values of The Norwich Radical, as laid out in our Founding Statement
- Experience of working in an editorial capacity
- Familiarity with WordPress.com
- Experience of working in a not for profit, voluntary, media or campaigning organisation.
- Connections with campaign groups, activists, trade unions and progressive political figures.
- Experience in a support or mentoring role
- Experience in writing and delivering strategies
How to Apply
To apply for the role of International Editor at The Norwich Radical, please send a statement of no more than 750 words, along with a sample of your written work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note The Norwich Radical is not-for-profit and all writers and editors work on a voluntary basis.
We also request that candidates fill in and send this equal opportunities monitoring form, but this is not compulsory. The equal opportunities form will be separated and anonymised on receipt of your application.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, and we are open to candidates who wish to apply for this position as part of a job-share.
Please return your statement, written work sample and equal opportunities monitoring form by midnight on Friday 6th April If you have any queries, please do just drop us an email.