We’re recruiting! Check out our vacancies below:
The Norwich Radical is an online progressive publication based in Norwich. We are a collective of writers, activists, students and workers who work on a voluntary basis to produce a publication which amplifies progressive and radical ideas. We publish a range of content in five separate sections from our team of regular writers and through externally sourced content.
We are currently looking to recruit a new member of our editorial team who will be working as our Arts Editor. Our Arts section covers a wide range of topics, all linking visual, written, animated, performance, musical, text, film, image-based media and the socio-political realities they are based in and a product of. We review art, create art, offer art a platform, believe in artivism and creative protest, and seek the radical nature of artistic expression – be it in text, image, animation, or more.
We anticipate the role will require a commitment of roughly 6-10 hours per week and will have the following responsibilities:
- Copy-editing and proof-reading content
- Uploading and laying up content to our website
- Managing our social media accounts, for the purposes of the Arts section
- Writing and implementing strategy for the Arts section
- Working with, supporting and developing a team of regular writers in your section.
- Sourcing content from external contributors
- Representing The Norwich Radical at events
- Assisting the general work and responsibilities of the Editorial Team
- Assisting with the planning, organisation and delivery of Norwich Radical events
- Attending quarterly Editorial Away Days, via remote access or in person
- Contributing content on a regular and ad hoc basis
In line with this role description, we are looking for applicants with the following skills, experiences and attributes:
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong and fluid written communication
- Self motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as collaboratively in a team
- Familiarity with Twitter and Facebook
- Understanding of the current state of the Arts both nationally and internationally
- Understanding of or experience or activity within the arts (any aspect).
- Commitment to the values of The Norwich Radical, as laid out in our Founding Statement
- Experience of working in an editorial capacity
- Familiarity with WordPress.com
- Experience of working in a not for profit, voluntary, media or campaigning organisation
- Strong connections to and/or contacts with influential figures or organisations in the arts and humanities on an international scale (writers, artists, musicians, etc)
- Experience in a support or mentoring role
- Experience in writing and delivering strategies
How to Apply
To apply for the role of Arts Editor at The Norwich Radical, please send a statement of no more than 750 words, along with a sample of your written work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also request that candidates fill in and send this equal opportunities monitoring form, but this is not compulsory. The equal opportunities form will be separated and anonymised on receipt of your application.
We seek to have a team that is representative of all the progressive elements of our society and we particularly encourage applicants from more diverse backgrounds – gender, ethnicity, sexuality; we are also open to candidates who wish to apply for this position as part of a job-share. Please note The Norwich Radical is not-for-profit and all writers and editors work on a voluntary basis.
Please return your statement, written work sample and equal opportunities monitoring form by Sunday 18th June.